Is Professional Teeth Whitening Worth It?
Achieving a bright white smile will not happen on its own unless you take intentional measures. In many cases, patients look for a simple do-it-yourself approach that they can try out in the comfort of their homes. While you can try many home remedies to brighten and whiten your smile, nothing does it better than professional teeth whitening.
What Is Professional Teeth Whitening?
Unlike all other attempts for whitening your teeth, professional teeth whitening involves a dental expert. Ideally, a teeth whitening dentist will offer this service, mostly in a dental office. The procedure for whitening your teeth by a professional involves the following steps:
- Cleaning your teeth – the dental cleaning process will help rid your mouth of plaque and tartar, which are the number one causes of dental discoloration. Once your teeth have been cleaned, they should already appear brighter than before.
- Bleaching enamels – the dentist will apply special whitening products on the enamels of your teeth. The whitening products work by breaking down the particles of stains and fading them. Once the whitening agents are on your teeth, the dental expert will use blue light to activate the products. The blue light also speeds up the bleaching process.
- Repeating the procedure – the bleaching phase of your teeth whitening procedure is not done once but several times. The repetition will have your dentist wipe off the whitening products and reapply them to bleach your teeth after a few minutes further. The essence of repetition is to ensure that all stains on your teeth have been removed.
In some cases, however, a dentist in Jackson may prescribe an at-home whitening approach. It is usually the case for patients with very stubborn stains on their teeth. The at-home whitening kit ensures that your teeth bleaching continues even when you leave the dentist’s office. The process of using the kit is guided and directed by your dentist. You are not meant to use the whitening kit forever. It should only take a few days, based on your dentist’s recommendations, for you to achieve the results you desire.
Unique Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
If you have tried teeth whitening remedies at home, you will learn that they do not provide similar benefits to teeth whitening done by a dental professional. The benefits include:
- High safety measures – the whitening products used for bleaching teeth can be harmful to your teeth as well as your gums. Without regulating the concentration of the products for bleaching teeth, you may result in enamel thinning, dentin hypersensitivity, gum damage, to mention a few oral issues. With professional teeth whitening, you can rest assured that the dentist will use just the right amount and concentration of whitening agents on your teeth. Better yet, dental experts use necessary precautions to protect your gums before beginning the whitening products.
- Improved oral hygiene – the typical teeth whitening process begins with cleaning your teeth to rid your mouth of any plaque and tartar that stains teeth. By yourself, you may not quite master the essence of deep cleaning your teeth before attempting to whiten and brighten them.
- Immediate results – professional teeth whitening performed by your dentist in their office yields results immediately. It means that by the time you are leaving the dentist’s office, your teeth will appear different from how you came in. you do not have to wait for a gradual improvement in the appearance of your teeth.
- It is an effective approach with evident results – ideally, professional teeth whitening allows you to achieve up to 4 shades whiter than the initial color of your natural teeth. You, therefore, never have to question whether or not the whitening treatment worked.
- Compared to amateur home remedies for whitening teeth, professional teeth whitening has longer-lasting results. Obviously, bleaching your enamel does not have permanent results. After a while, your teeth will begin to lose their shine, especially if you are not diligent in keeping up with proper oral hygiene. After your whitening session, you can go for between 6 and 12 months before you need a repeat procedure to whiten your teeth.