Teeth whitening is the process of brightening and whitening the color of your natural teeth. The procedures for changing the color of teeth focus on breaking down stains and bleaching enamel. Over the years, many approaches have improved teeth’ color.
Some people insist on trying out teeth whitening protocols at home using over-the-counter tool kits. However, when your concern is to find the safest and best approach, you will consider professional teeth whitening.
What Is Professional Teeth Whitening?
It is a procedure for whitening teeth under the supervision and guidance of a dental expert. Professional stain removal must be done by a teeth whitening dentist. Most of such treatment protocols happen in dental offices like Summit Pointe Dental.
Professional Teeth Whitening Options
The beautiful thing about professional teeth whitening is that there are options. If you prefer to continue your treatment at home, you can do so under the supervision of your dentist in Jackson. It is because there are options for professional teeth whitening, which are:
- Chairside Bleaching – entails in-office teeth whitening. The dentist will bleach your teeth’ enamels for this treatment while on a dentist’s chair. The procedure takes roughly 45 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes. The dentist will apply whitening agents on your teeth, leaving the paste or varnish for about 15 minutes. After the first application, the dentist uses laser light to activate the bleaching process, then wipes it off. The dentist will then repeat the application couple more times until (s)he achieves the desired results.
- At-Home Custom Tray Whitening – is a treatment regimen that dentists prescribe for bleaching teeth at home. The treatment entails custom take-home trays that can brighten your teeth gradually while at home. This may be your only treatment to whiten your teeth in some cases. However, the dentist can recommend custom take-home trays as a follow-up treatment for patients with stubborn stains that do not come out after an in-office session. Although the treatment will be in the comfort of your home, it comprises a more comprehensive treatment than the typical over-the-counter whitening strips.
Are There Side Effects or Risks of Professional Whitening Treatments?
Professional teeth whitening has potential side effects and risks like other dental treatments. They include the following:
- Heightened teeth sensitivity – the bleaching products target stains on different layers of your teeth. It can increase the sensitivity of your teeth, especially with temperature changes. However, the problem should resolve after a few days.
- Irritation to your gums – they may get irritated after your treatment if you have sensitive gums. You may notice swelling or reddening of your gums after your procedure. The irritation can even be in your lips or inner cheeks. However, it should get better in a day or two.
- Inflamed tooth pulp – if you have a crack, break, or unnoticed cavity on your tooth, teeth whitening can cause pulp inflammation.
- Throat or stomach pain – usually for patients who swallow some of the whitening product.
Why Choose Professional Teeth Whitening from Summit Pointe Dental?
Even with the side effects mentioned above, professional teeth whitening has an overriding advantage over at-home do-it-yourself whitening methods. The reasons for it include:
- Protecting your gums – dental experts account for the safety of your gums, protecting them from direct exposure to harsh bleaching products.
- Regulated concentrations of whitening agents – too much of the bleaching products will damage your teeth’ enamels, making them weaker over time.
- Instant results – after your teeth whitening treatment, you will notice drastic changes in the color of your teeth. The treatment is effective enough to yield results of up to 4 times whiter than the initial color of your teeth.
- Longer-lasting results – it should take about six months or longer before you need a re-touch to maintain the new color of your teeth.
Quick treatment – the chair-side teeth whitening option ensures that you achieve a brighter and whiter smile over 45 minutes. Many of the over-the-counter do-it-yourself remedies require days of consistent use before you can realize any changes in the color of your teeth.